- Eron’s Mailbag: Edition #2 – CM Punk’s Future, Global Force Wrestling, And More!
- TNA Wrestling Buyout: Bobby Roode
- Booking Brock Lesnar’s World Title Reign
- When Should Seth Rollins Cash In?
- Sensational Sherri – The Most Sensational Manager of All Time
- Ryan The Builder: Kofi Kingston (Part 1)
- Eron’s Mailbag: Edition #1- Dean Ambrose, Rock’s Return & More!
- Tyson Kidd Survived The Dungeon… Can He Survive WWE?
- Under The Mat: Interview w/ Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat
- Terry Funk Joined By Ric Flair, Harley Race, JJ Dillon & Dave Meltzer on Hart Beat Radio
- Early WrestleMania 31 Predictions
- 4 Former Champions That Aren’t Needed on WWE TV Anymore
- WWE Hell In A Cell: Will Fans Ever Be Happy?
- Analyzing The Wyatt Family As Singles Competitors
- The Real Reason Why We Hate John Cena
WWE WrestleMania 30: John Cena Should Challenge The Undertaker’s Streak
- Updated: January 3, 2014
John Cena vs. The Undertaker
As WWE begins its road to WrestleMania 30, the debate as to who will challenge the Undertaker’s streak is inevitable. In October, reports suggested the Phenom of WWE would face Brock Lesnar. More recently, I read that Taker may face Daniel Bryan at the show of shows. However, I think the best choice is the Superman of WWE in John Cena.
There are many fans that believe that the streak will never end. As the years go on, WWE has to choose opponents for the Undertaker that will at least question whether or not the streak will end. CM Punk got the spot last year after his 434-day reign as WWE Champion. He couldn’t do it.
Cena is the golden boy of WWE. He is the face of the company and has been for almost a decade. To the younger audience, Cena is a superhero babyface. To the older audience, Cena is a hated stale heel. If someone were going to end the streak, it would have to be someone at the level of Cena.
The Rock and Hulk Hogan are worldwide known stars that, like Cena, I would expect WWE to consider breaking the Undertaker’s streak. The problem is that The Rock is a part-time wrestler and seems to always get injured in matches. Hulk Hogan is way beyond his prime. Cena is still on top of his game.
I am not suggesting that Cena will end the streak though. I am with those fans that believe the streak should never end. It is a unique and special thing WWE has. At the same time, the intrigue of Cena ending the streak is enough for me that the match should happen. That is what WWE needs when they choose Taker’s next opponent. Intrigue and making fans think that the streak is in jeopardy. While Brock Lesnar is a big name, he is not at the level of Cena, Rock or Hogan that should be considered the one to end the streak.
This brings me to my next point. Should Bryan be seriously considered for the Undertaker’s WrestleMania challenger?
Bryan is at an interesting point in his career. His popularity began to soar around WrestleMania 28 and has only risen since then. When Cena went down with an injury, Bryan was the top babyface and challenging for the WWE title. However, he was recently demoted and is no longer in the title picture. Bryan would be an intriguing choice because of how much fans like him, but I have a hard time believing that Bryan has a legitimate chance at beating Undertaker.
Cena has the total package going for him. He is super popular (or hated) by WWE fans, is a top star in the company and has a legitimate chance at ending the Undertaker’s streak at WrestleMania.
The question will still remain though – will anyone ever beat the streak?
Who do you think should challenge the Undertaker’s streak at WrestleMania 30? Please share your thoughts in the comment section below and tweet me your thoughts @sethmikey